Tuesday, May 18, 2010

'round here...

My time in Maui is drawing to an end...it's been a fun time, but I still have to job prospects and no other options of places to live, and I'm running out of money. I guess Hawaii is just not my scene right now. I think it's a great place to visit and vacation, but it's not easy to relocate to. And relocating is okay to do by yourself, but vacationing is not so fun to do alone. But this trip has given me lots of time to think and regroup so the thought of spending the rest of the summer in Utah no longer makes me want to shoot myself. And honestly a major reason for me to go back to Utah and not Alaska is I still have two tickets to the U2 concert in June that I haven't had any luck selling, and it would be a crime against humanity to let those go to waste :)
Anyways, I have had some good adventures here, and I am planning on having more before I go! haven't learned to surf or anything yet, haven't even gotten in the water yet actually. Playing at the beach is one of those things that is not much fun by yourself, unfortunately. But I have been on the beach long enough to get a sunburn at least. I've taken the buses all around the island, hit up some good touristy spots, hitched a ride from an old filipeno man, ate some mangos right off the tree, stuff like that. I feel very "white" when I'm around the locals out here. I was sitting at a bus stop the other day, and this group of old Hawaiians was talking. They obviously knew each other well, and I was politely trying not to eavesdrop, when I hear "Heeey, Sistah!" and look over to see this huge, dark hawaiian man with long hair grinning at me and waving. Me: "...hi.." Him: "You visiting?" Me:"...kind of...yeah" Then he just laughed and ignored me. People wave at me all the time here, sometimes it's nice and friendly, sometimes it's a little creepy. Also, for those of you who don't know, when you greet someone here they like to kiss you on the cheek, or at least put their face on yours. It kind of threw me for a loop the first couple times, especially when this young guy from the singles ward did it. I had to fight the urge to dodge.
People here are great though. I've only really been skeeved out once, in more than two weeks living here by myself, so I think that's pretty good. I don't know, it's definitely been an adventure, broadening my horizons!

2 comments:

  1. Mexicans like to kiss on first meeting too (and everytime after). I was told by some Samoan friends that the pressing of faces is like something to do with the persons essence or spirit. And U2 is the only reason to go back to Utah ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of cultures that do cheek kissing. haha ;) I miss ya!

    ReplyDelete