Wednesday, April 28, 2010

pourin' some sugar...

I had a job interview yesterday to work as a naturalist in Hawaii with the Pacific Whale Foundation. I think it went pretty well. The interviewer showed me the binder he had with 500 resumes and said they only choose about 25 to interview, and only 6 or 7 from that to interview a second time. He said they'd let me know in a week and a half, two weeks max. The problem is, I don't want to be a naturalist. I didn't even apply for the naturalist position, I sent my resume in to be a purser on the boats. And after that interview I almost had a breakdown about going to Hawaii. Ask my mom, I called her all freaked out. I was getting overwhelmed by the thought of having to wait to find out about the job, because that would determine where exactly I lived and then how to even get from the airport to the other side of the island with all my stuff without it costing a lot of money, where to stay the first couple nights there...
Fortunately, the freak out didn't last. I just had to refocus on why I'm going to Hawaii in the first place. I don't need that much stuff, I can take one bag instead of two, that makes it easier to take the buses and stay in hostels. And I am not taking a job as a naturalist if it's offered to me. I was getting stressed out just thinking about it, all the training, studying, certification and preparation that goes into a job like that. I know because I did it the last two summers. A job like that starts to define your life, because it's not just a job, it's a career builder. And I have already decided that i don't want to be in that career. It's not that i don't want to work hard, I have no problem working hard and long hours to support myself. I know that that's what I'll have to do. But while I'm in Hawaii I want a job or jobs that I don't have to take home with me, you know? I'm going to Maui to chill for a while and switch gears in my life, clear my head a little bit, and being stressed out over a job would ruin it for me.
So, crisis averted. I have a reservation at a hostel in Kahului for the night I get there, then I can take the bus down to Kihei the next day and start looking for work. All good in the hood :)

1 comment:

  1. Well at least I know you have a place to stay. What is it that you want to do then? I thought being a naturalist was just down your alley. Heck I'd LOOOVE to be one! Also one of my many "dream jobs" haha. Keep in touch Shano!!!

    ReplyDelete